The palace is situated on Dam Square in the centre of Amsterdam. It was originally built as the city hall for the burgomasters and magistrates of Amsterdam.
The celebrated architect Jacob van Campen, who also had a hand in the building of Huis ten Bosch and Noordeinde in The Hague, took control of the project in 1648.
The entire building was constructed of white stone, though the weathering of the centuries has left none of it visible.
The Waag (weigh house) in Gouda is one of many beautiful monuments in town and dates from 1668. During the summer, cheese is weighed here every thursday morning in an attractive ceremony drawing many tourists. Anyone interested or hungry can also take the opportunity to taste some authentic Gouda cheese.
The old weigh house of Gouda is also a cheese museum nowadays.
|Huis ter Kleef
Kaatsbaan Huis ter Kleef
The Kaatsbaan at Huis ter Kleef in Haarlem was built by Hendrik van Brederode around 1560. He was a close friend and ally of 'Willem van Oranje', and led the rebellion against the Spanish invaders in the turbulent year of 1566.
During the siege of Haarlem in 1573, Huis ter Kleef was largely destroyed by the Spaniards, whereas Hendrik's Kaatsbaan, a court which was used for playing an early form of tennis known as Real Tennis, was spared and used as a prison. This game was practiced until the second quarter of the 17th century, and the Kaatsbaan has since served as a farmhouse and in 1984 it was put into use as a canteen for one of the city's municipal departments.
The National Service for Archaeology, Cultural Landscape and Built Heritage (RACM) has recognized the Kaatsbaan as a unique building of great monumental value. If the plans of the Real Tennis Club Huis ter Kleef - to have the building restored so that it can be put to its original use - are realized, the Kaatsbaan will be the oldest covered tennis court in the world.
Blue Delft's exclusively made for Huis ter Kleef by KLM and Bols (not issued on board of KLM flights).
Kaatsbaan Huis ter Kleef, Kleverlaan 9, Haarlem, The Netherlands.
Open Monday - Friday 09.00 - 17.00, Sunday 10.30 - 16.00
For more information: www.realtennis.nl
The Palace on the Dam Square as it was presented to all business class passengers out flying from Amsterdam to the other continents on the 30th of April 2013 being the inauguration date of the King.
From this special house only 2000 were made and distributed.
|House of Bols
House of Bols , mini made after the Museum in Paulus Potterstraat ,Amsterdam
It was originally made as a gift for the opening and later supplied to visitors.
Filled with the original Dutch young jenever.
|KLM miniature number 1
Amsterdam, Unidentified house
|KLM miniature number 2
Amsterdam, Restaurant D'Vijff Vlieghen, Spuistraat 294 Amsterdam
|KLM miniature number 3
Amsterdam, Unidentified house
|KLM miniature number 4
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 127
|KLM miniature number 5
Amsterdam, Unidentified house
|KLM miniature number 6
Amsterdam, Begijnhof 34
|KLM miniature number 7
Amsterdam, Unidentified house
|KLM miniature number 8
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 451
|KLM miniature number 9
Amsterdam, Leidsegracht 10.
|KLM miniature number 10
Amsterdam, Herengracht 203
|KLM miniature number 11
Proeflokaal Wijnand Fockink
Pijlsteeg 31 Amsterdam
|KLM miniature number 12
Amsterdam, Zandhoek 3 - 4
|KLM miniature number 13
Amersfoort, Kamp 10 D'Gekroonde Bye-korf The Crowned Beehive Built in 1687
|KLM miniature number 14
Amsterdam, Heerengracht 510 House of the Two Sea-gods Built in 1688
|KLM miniature number 15
Dordrech, De Rozijnkorf Voorstraat 282. House in Gable style typical of that found in Dordrecht's Hofstraat and Voorstraat Built in 17th century
|KLM miniature number 16
Haarlem, Houtmarkt 17 Built between 1708 and 1724
|KLM miniature number 17
Gouda, Spieringstraat 1-3, house in Gable style prevalent in city during the mid-17th century
|KLM miniature number 18
Utrecht, Oude Gracht 111 Cleijn Fresenburg Little Fresenburg Built in 1569 Restored in 1926
|KLM miniature number 19
Leiden, Raapenburg 31 Built in 1664
|KLM miniature number 20
Edam, Damplein 8 The Edam Museum Built in 1550 Restored in 1895
|KLM miniature number 21
Delft, Markt 47 Built in the 16th century Upper part renewed in 1880
|KLM miniature number 22
Veere, Kaai 25-27 Het Lammeken The Little Lamb Built in 1539
|KLM miniature number 23
Amsterdam, Pijlsteeg 31 De Gekroonde Wildeman The Crowned Wild Man One-time proeflokaal (tasting bar) of the Wijnand Fockink distillery Built around 1679
|KLM miniature number 24
Alkmaar, Mient 31 De Kroon The Crown Built in the mid-16th century
|KLM miniature number 25
Gouda, Spieringstraat 1-3 Built as an orphanage in 1642 Restored in 1973
|KLM miniature number 26
The Hague, Nieuwe Uitleg 16 Built in the 18th century
|KLM miniature number 27
Rotterdam, Nieuwe Haven 59 Prinsenhof Prince's Court Built in 17th century
|KLM miniature number 28
Groote Markt 2a, Rotterdam In Duizend Vreezen
|KLM miniature number 29
Leiden, Korte Galgewater Stadstimmerwerf City wood wharf Built in 1612
|KLM miniature number 30
Delft, Hippolytusbuurt 26 Built in the 18th century
|KLM miniature number 31
Delft, Koornmarkt 87 Built in 1916
|KLM miniature number 32
Delft, Koornmarkt 81 Built shortly after 1536 Restored in 1911
|KLM miniature number 33
Rotterdam, Voorhaven 12 Museum de Dubbelde Palmboom The Double Palm Tree Museum Built in 1826
|KLM miniature number 34
Delft, Wijnhaven 16 Het Vergulde Tonneken The Gilted Barrel Built shortly after 1536
|KLM miniature number 35
Delft, Oude Delft 39 Built in 1631 Extended in 1722
|KLM miniature number 36
Delft, Hippolytusbuurt 8 Built in the mid-17th century Rebuilt in 1948
|KLM miniature number 37
Amsterdam, Oude Zijds Voorburgwal 300 Stadskredietbank City Credit Bank Built in the early 17th century
|KLM miniature number 38
Heerengracht 607 Built in 1670
|KLM miniature number 39
Hindelopen, Nieuweweg 12 Built in the 17th century
|KLM miniature number 40
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 104 De Rode Hoed The Red Hat Built shortly before 1630
|KLM miniature number 41
Leeuwarden, St. Jacobsstraat 13 Built in 1635 Rebuilt in 1706 Restored in 1928
|KLM miniature number 42
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 514 Built in the late 17th century Rebuilt in 1720, 1922 and 1980
|KLM miniature number 43
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 516 Built in 1865
|KLM miniature number 44
Leiden, Hooglandse Kerkgracht 19 Built in 1583 Rebuilt around 1620
|KLM miniature number 45
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 140 Built in 1670 Rebuilt following a fire in the 19th century
|KLM miniature number 46
Amsterdam, Begijnhof 27 Built in the 17th century
|KLM miniature number 47
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 263 The Anne Frank House Built in 1635 Rebuilt in 1739
|KLM miniature number 48
Amsterdam, Jodenbreestraat 4-6 Museum 'Het Rembrandthuis' Built in 1606 Rebuilt with classical pediment after 1660 Restored in 1906
|KLM miniature number 49
Coevorden, Friesestraat 42 Built between 1605 and 1610 Rebuilt in 1765 and 1908
|KLM miniature number 50
Amsterdam, Rozengracht 106 The Bols Tavern Built in 1650 Restored in 1958
|KLM miniature number 51
Franeker, Voorstraat 49 Built in 1662 Restored in 1964
|KLM miniature number 52
Amsterdam, Herengracht 415 Built in 1666 Gable rebuilt in 1890
|KLM miniature number 53
Amsterdam, Herengracht 203 Built around 1618 Restored in 1920 and 1973
|KLM miniature number 54
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 773 Built around 1655 Restored in 1976
|KLM miniature number 55
Schiedam, Oude Sluis 19 Het Zakkendragershuisje Sack-carriers'house Built in 1725 Restored in 1966
|KLM miniature number 56
Amsterdam, Herengracht 64 De Werelt The World Built around 1630 Rebuilt in 1716
|KLM miniature number 57
Amsterdam, Herengracht 95 De Ster The Star Built before 1616 Rebuilt in the late 18th century Restored in 1969
|KLM miniature number 58
Amsterdam, Herengracht 101 Built in 1625 Rebuilt in 1871
|KLM miniature number 59
Amsterdam, Herengracht 163 Het Vat The Barrel Built before 1632 Rebuilt in 1721
|KLM miniature number 60
House in Amsterdam (Herengracht 314, Amsterdam)
From an artistic and historical viewpoint, the facade (1725) on this monumental building is unique because of its gable, a kind of cross between a neck and cornice gable.To the left and right of this neck are sandstone scrolls in the form of dolphins. The man who commissioned the second house built at this site was Nicolaas Romswinkel, who was a "vroedsman" and part of the city council. The house remained in his family for more than a century. Since 1986, a large part of the house was accommodated a private restaurant, a cooking school and the catering business "La cuisine Francaise". Dining in the 19th-century banquet room overlooking a beautiful garden is simply delightful.
|KLM miniature number 61
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 439 Built in 1683 Rebuilt in 1895
|KLM miniature number 62
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 305 Built around 1616 Restored and rebuilt in 1970
|KLM miniature number 63
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 407 Built in 1665 Rebuilt in the early 19th century
|KLM miniature number 64
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 755 Built around 1700 Gable rebuilt in 1906
|KLM miniature number 65
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 487 De Sparreboom The Spruce Tree Built in 1670
|KLM miniature number 66
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 403 Built in 1669 Rebuilt in 1949
|KLM miniature number 67
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 721 Built around 1750
|KLM miniature number 68
Amsterdam, Prinsengracht 969 Built in 1690
|KLM miniature number 69
Amsterdam, Keizersgracht 319 Built in 1639
|KLM miniature number 70
Alkmaar, Koningsstraat 4 Built shortly after 1865
|KLM miniature number 71
Amsterdam, Singel 81 Built around 1900
|KLM miniature number 72
Amsterdam, Singel 87 Built around 1730 Ground floor later altered
|KLM miniature number 73
Alkmaar, Dijk 11 De Posthoorn The Post-horn Built as an inn around 1575
|KLM miniature number 74
Amsterdam, Reguliersgracht 7 Built in the 17th century Rebuilt several times
|KLM miniature number 75
The Hague, Hofweg 9-11 Former KLM Headquarters Built in 1914
|KLM miniature number 76
This house is featured on the famous painting The Little Street by the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer (1632 - 1675)
|KLM miniature number 77
Breda Auberge de Arent The Golden Eagle Inn
|KLM miniature number 78
Amsterdam, Leidsegracht 51 Built in 1671
|KLM miniature number 79
Schiedam This Schiedam-typical building was home to Distillery Melchers
|KLM miniature number 80
Amsterdam, Gravenstraat (near Dam Square) De Drie Fleschjes The Three Little Bottles Built in 1650
|KLM miniature number 81
Groningen, Goudkantoor Replica of the Goudkantoor (Gold Office), which still stands on the Grote Markt in Groningen. Built in 1635, the Goudkantoor is an example of early 17th century architecture with a splendid facade in the style of the Dutch Renaissance. For many years the building was used as a tax office where gold and silver objects were weighed, inspected and given a hallmark. Nowadays, the Goudkantoor has been converted into a cafe-restaurant of the same name.
|KLM miniature number 82
Maastricht, Huys on the Jeker The 82nd house, located in Maastricht and known locally as the 'Huys on the Jeker', was built sometime around 1665 on a bridge that spans the narrow Jeker River. The Huys on the Jeker was originally the home of the rector of the 'Grauwzusters', an order of Augustine nuns that lived in a convent behind the rector's house. The building is characteristic of Renaissance-period architecture in the Maas valley. The building now serves as a private residence.
|KLM miniature number 83
This 83rd house in the KLM series is located at 672 Keizersgracht in Amsterdam and was built in 1671 at the same time as the house next door. Architect Adriaen Dortsman was inspired by the style of classicism when he created his sober design for the fa?ade. Bentheim sandstone covers the entire exterior wall of the building. The first inhabitant of this house was Ferdinand Bol, Rembrandt's most famous student. In the middle of the eighteenth century, its interior was completely renovated. In 1884, the building was purchased by the Van Loon family. This family had played an important role in the city for centuries, one of its members having been one of the founders of the Dutch East India Company. Today, this house serves as a museum.
|KLM miniature number 84
House 84 is a replica of the historic Old Mint Tavern in Weert. It was here that Count Van Horne had his coins minted during the Eighty-Year War. The building has been a caf?-restaurant since 1974.
|KLM miniature number 85
The Penha Building (Heerenstraat 1, Curacao), located in the heart of historic Willemstad, was constructed in 1708 from bricks made in the IJssel region that had been used as ballast aboard ships of the Dutch West Insdies Company. The arched galleries on the fa?ade of the building were not added until later. After 1877, the building became the property of the Penha family that established its shop in the ground floor around 1903.
Until 1956, the first floor accommodated the 'Soci?teit de Gezelligheid', a social club where prominent members would meet on what it called the 'Balcony Overlooking the Harber'.
The Penha Building contributed much to placing Willemstad on the UNESCO World Heritage List and has been used for decades as an accommodation for the famous PENHA perfunery.
|KLM miniature number 86
AMSTELVEEN, August 31, 2005 - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will celebrate its 86th anniversary in true tradition with the introduction of a new Delftware miniature. The Delftware miniatures are usually replicas of historical buildings located in the Netherlands. The Teylers Museum in Haarlem was selected for the 86th house because it is the oldest museum in the Netherlands. A first copy of the miniature will be presented to Mrs. Scharloo, curator of Teylers Museum, by Mr. Varwijk, Senior Vice President & Area Manager Western Europe on the occasion of KLMâ€™s 86th anniversary on October 7, 2005.
KLM has been presenting the Delftware miniatures filled with Bols Dutch gin to its World Business Class passengers on intercontinental flights since the 1950s. The collection has grown in sync with KLMâ€™s anniversary since 1994, with a new house being added each year. The Delftware miniatures have become highly prized collectors items in the Netherlands and abroad.
The museum was named after Pieter Teyler van der Hulst (1702-1778), an influential cloth and silk manufacturer based in Haarlem. As a representative of the Age of Reason, he was enormously interested in art and science. He collected avidly in both areas in the belief that knowledge would enrich human nature. In his will he therefore specified that his riches were to be used to establish a foundation in support of art and science, amongst other objectives. The executors of Teyler's will decided to build a special space in which objects related to art and science could be unified. The books were meant for studies, the physics equipment was used for demonstration purposes, and the drawings were the subject of debate during art reviews. A decision was soon reached to open the collections for public viewing.
In cooperation with the British Museum in London and the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, Teylers Museum will be presenting a selection of ninety Michelangelo drawings between October 6, 2005 and January 8, 2006. This marks the first time in history when works from these three collections will be available together for viewing. The most commonly exhibited drawings are preliminary studies of well-known building and painting commissions in Rome and Florence. The Sistine Chapel in Rome is at the heart of the exhibition with works from the ceiling frescos and the mural of the Last Judgment.
|KLM miniature number 87
AMSTELVEEN, October 9, 2006 â€“ KLM Royal Dutch Airlines celebrated its 87th anniversary in true tradition on October 7, 2006, with the presentation of a new Delftware miniature. The Delftware miniatures are replicas of Dutch historical buildings. The Peperhuis (Pepper House) on the Wierdijk in Enkhuizen was selected as the 87th miniature. Mr. Rob van Hijfte,Vice President Cabin Inflight Management, officially presented the first copy of the new house to Mr. Erik Schilp, managing director of the Zuiderzee Museum.
The Peperhuis is the oldest building of the Zuiderzee Museum. The first stone was laid in 1925 at the behest of shipping merchant Pieter van Berensteyn, who lived and worked in the Peperhuis. In 1682, the Enkhuizen Chamber of the Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie â€“ VOC) purchased the building for 2,600 guilders and began using it as a warehouse.
KLM has been presenting the Delftware miniatures to its World Business Class passengers on intercontinental flights since the 1950s. The collection has grown in sync with KLMâ€™s anniversary since 1994, with a new house being added each year. The Delftware miniatures have become highly prized collectors items in the Netherlands and abroad.
History of the house
The Peperhuis consists of two adjoining parts. The front of the building faces the Wierdijk and the other side the Oosterhaven. Van Berensteyn occupied the front section. The double stepped gable of the Peperhuis on the Wierdijk is impressive for several reasons. The central plaque shows an image of the herring harvest, accompanied by the old, economic adage â€œnothing ventured, nothing gained.â€ A striking feature in the buildingâ€™s faÃ§ade is the green door on the first floor. This was not the door to the warehouse, but led to the home of Pieter van Berensteyn. An extended stone staircase â€“ long since vanished â€“ provided access to the house. A monogram of the Enkhuizen Chamber of the VOC can be seen at the back of the building.
Like most VOC warehouses, the Peperhuis did not only serve as storage space. Colonial goods were also unpacked, weighed, sorted and prepared for twice-yearly auction. The Peperhuis has served numerous purposes after the VOC was disbanded in 1798. It has been used as a naval hospital and as a warehouse for cheese and seeds. It served the latter purpose until 1946, when the Royal Sluis & Groot Seed Growers and Traders Company donated the building to the Friends of the Zuiderzee Museum.
|KLM miniature number 88
AMSTELVEEN, 8 October 2007 â€“ A new KLM Delft Blue house is being issued to mark our 88th anniversary on October 7. The building selected to be the 88th KLM House is â€˜t Lootsje on the Rozengracht in Amsterdam. The Delft Blue miniature houses are all replicas of historical Dutch buildings and are filled with Bols Jonge Jenever. The first â€œHouse 88â€ will be presented by Bart Vos, EVP Inflight Services, to Mr. Huub van Doorne, CEO Lucas Bols.
From 1575, â€˜t Lootsje on the Rozengracht, Amsterdam, was the home of the Bols liqueur and jenever distillery and tasting room. Bols is the oldest Dutch company still operating and the worldâ€™s oldest distillery brand.
The Delft Blue houses have been presented by KLM to our World Business Class passengers on intercontinental flights since the 1950s. Since 1994, the number of houses in the collection has matched the age of KLM. Every year a new house is added to the collection and they have become popular collectables both at home and abroad.
History of â€˜t Lootsje
Lucas Bols headed the Bols company between 1678 and 1719 and turned it into an internationally renowned brand. As a major shareholder in the Dutch East India Company (VOC) he had first choice of exotic herbs and spices which he used to make almost 300 different liqueurs and jenevers.
The drinks became so popular that the company had to keep expanding, buying the buildings on either side. In 1892 a canopy appeared above the entrance to the tasting room â€˜t Lootsje and the neck gable became a stepped gable. A decade later Eduard Cuypers designed a long facade for all the Bols buildings. The front of the tasting room at No. 99 remains unchanged to the present day.
|KLM miniature number 89
AMSTELVEEN, 8 October 2008 â€“ A new KLM Delft Blue house is being issued to mark our 89th anniversary on October 7. The building selected to be the 89th KLM House is The Secretarishuisje (town clerkâ€™s house) at Muurhuizen 109 in Amersfoort. It was built in the first half of the 16th century on the foundations of the first wall. It is a typical wall house and is one of a ring of medieval houses in the city centre.
Almost every period since then has left traces on its faÃ§ade. The masonry and wall anchors date from the late Middle Ages. During the early 17th century, the house was â€˜updatedâ€™ with various Renaissance elements. It was purchased by Jan Both Hendriksen, the town clerk, in 1776 and has been known since then as the Secretarishuisje.
The typically 18th-century sash windows and the front door with the beautifull Rococo knob date from this time. During the 19th and 20th centuries, the house fell into disrepair.
In 1953, it came into possession of the Municipality of Amersfoort and was restored by architect C.W. Royaards. The house is currently being rented to city dwellers.
|KLM miniature number 90
The 'Wester-Amstel' country house is located on the west bank of the river Amstel in Amstelveen - also the location of KLM's headquarters.
Pancras modelled Wester-Amstel on the predominant 'lang romp' (long hull) farm houses.
The modest design provided durable. Wester-Amstel survived economic downturns through its conversion to a country inn.The estate was bought in 1900 by Dutch travel agency founder Jacques Lissone, who converted it back into a family home. His descendants opened the gardens to the public. The house is now used for art exhibitions and festive gatherings.
|KLM miniature number 91
The Building located at 175 Badhuisweg was built in 1895. It is located in an urban conservation area known as Westbroekparkweg and Belgische Park, the latter being a 19th-century villa park in the Hague. The villa was built in the 'eclectic style': architecture chracterised by its combination of neo-styles. The building was altered and expanded several times. The architect of the house is F.A. Koch (1864 - 1935). The government of the Netherlands Antilles purchased the building in 1955. It has served as the residence of the Minister Plenipotentiary of the Netherlands Antilles who represents the Netherlands Antilles in the Council of Ministers of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
|KLM miniature number 92
KLM miniature number 92
The new KLM Delft Blue Miniature number 92 is a replica of a gable house 'De Drie Haringen' from the Dutch city of Deventer. 'De Drie Haringen' means 'The Three Herrings' and is located on De Brink 55 in Deventer.
De Drie Haringen was bought by Herbert Dapper in 1567, who made his fortune in the herring business, and was renovated in 1575. Herbert Dapper was part of a guild, and the crest of this guild, three crowned herrings, can still be found at the facade of the building.
The new KLM house has been revealed in the city hall of Deventer, where KLM celebrated their 92nd anniversary on October 7th. All in- and outbound World Business Class passengers will also receive the new house as of this date.
|KLM miniature number 93
Japanmuseum Sieboldhuis (Rapenburg 19, Leiden)
During the 16th century, Papenburg 19 was created created by combining 4 buildings. Radical changes were made to the building 2 centuries later. In 1830, Philipp Franz von Siebold (1796-1866) returned to Leiden and brought objects he collected during his stay on the Japanese island Dejima. Two years later he moved to Papenburg 19, where he displayed his collection to the public.
His "Japansch Museum" was visited by many dignitaries, such as King Willen II of the Netherlands, Tsarevich Alexander of Russia and Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia. In 2005, the building became the Japan Museum Sieboldhuis. It also serves as the official Japan Centre, providing an impression of the scientific, cultural and economic relations between the Netherlands and Japan.
|KLM miniature number 94
De Oudheidkamer, Den Burg (Texel)
The vilage of Den Burg is located on the island of Texel.
During the 16 century, the village was encircled by a wall and a canal. Just a little beyond the canal was a hostel that was built in 1559.
Strangers who had not other place to sleep could be accommodated free of charge. After Den Burg grew and there was no longer any need for a hostel, the house was inhabited by various families until sixty years ago.
Acter its restoration the house became a local history museum. The museum's collection is the result of donations and loans of objects made by the people of Texel.
|KLM miniature number 95
The Heineken brewery
This house was built in 1913 to replace the old Heineken brewery on Stadhouderskade in Amsterdam. Heineken had been at that address since the 1860's and its beer had already become world famous. Nevertheless, the start of the twentieth century heralded another spate of modernization and in 1910, Heineken's Board of Directors decided it was time for a new brewhouse.
Arie Heederik, an architect of Royal HaskoningDHV, was appointed to draw the plans.
The result was a robust yet elegant building with a facade that appeared to be crowned by two square towers. Its stained glass windows were some of the decorative features designed in contemporary art nouveau style. A large, prominently-placed, tiled plaque with the name of the brewery decorated the facade. Inside, copper kettles replaced the old wooden ones.
Today, the aroma of malt and hops has disappeared. The last bottles came off the bottling line of the brewery on Stadhouderskade in 1988.
By the time the Amsterdam brewery closed, about 90,000 people were visiting Heineken annually.
Because Heineken wanted to continue this tradition, the buildings on Stadhouderskade were converted into visitors centre. Nowadays, the 1913 brewhouse is at the heart of the Heineken Experience.
1072 AE Amsterdam
|KLM miniature number 96
A replica of the house where Hendrick Hamel was born, was built on the very same site as the original. This is now where visitors can get a sense of the life of this historic naval hero from Gorinchem.
Hendrick Hamel(1630-1692) was a Dutch Seafarer.In 1653 he was aboard De Sperwer,when it ran aground off the coast of the Korean Island of Jeju. The survivors were forbidden to leave the country because the Korean King did not want others having information about this country .It was not until 13 years later that Hendrick Hamel and seven others managed to escape.
During his time in Korea, Hamel had kept a detailed journal that became Europe’s sole source of information about that country for many years. For this reason ,he later became a famous person and was even honoured in Korea while being almost forgotten in the Netherlands.
The Hamel House is not only a museum but also a place where Dutch and Korean cultures come face to face.
4201 KS Gorinchem
|KLM miniature number 97
Hotel New York
Koninginnehoofd 1, Rotterdam
Hotel New York is situated in the former head office of the Holland America Line, also known as 'The Grand Old Lady'. From here thousands of emigrants left for North America, hoping for a better life. Nowadays, people come here to sleep, celebrate, eat, drink and do business in a special atmosphere.
In earlier times, many Europeans escaped poverty and/or religious persecution by leaving from Rotterdam. These emigrants usually left for North America, hoping for a better life. In 1873 the NASM company was founded, officially renamed 'HollandAmerica Line' in 1896. In 1971, after more than 100 years of transporting passengers, the Nieuw Amsterdam left the city on the Maas for its last crossing. An important episode in Rotterdam's nautical history had come to an end.
The building in which hotel New Yorkis situated was built in the Jugendstil style during the period 1901-1917 by the architects J. Muller, Droogleever Fortuin and C.B. van der Tak.
In 1977 the Holland America Line's head office moved to Seattle and in 1984 the building on Wilhelmina Pier was put on sale. One fine day in the early nineties, a few people regarded the building from across the water. With its tall towers and spinning weathercock, the building seemed to say: "Yes, I’m still here!" That is when the idea of a hotel and large café-restaurant first took shape, leading to Hotel New York opening its doors on May 5, 1993. Hotel New York has 72 rooms (some of them are old boardrooms from the directors of the HAL), 7 conference rooms, a big caf&eactu;-restaurant for 400 people and an exclusive restaurant for 100 guests named NY Basement in its souterrain.
The 97th miniature was revealed at a festive event aboard the Steamship in Rotterdam. KLM President & CEO Pieter Elbers presented the first miniatures to Ahmed Aboutaleb, the Mayor of Rotterdam, and Mr and Mrs Westers, who run Hotel New York. After the official presentation, the guests were brought by boat to Hotel New York for drinks and snacks.
|KLM miniature number 98
Parental home of Anthony Fokker
The home of the Fokker family was 'Kleine Houtweg 41' (now number 65), Haarlem. The semi-detached town house is believed to date back to 1791. The window on the ground floor (to the left of the front door) and the window above were part of the original house where Anthony Fokker grew up.
The frond loft on the second floor was "Tony's" territory. He was an unruly pupil, but a keen hobbies. He created trains, a canoe, a steering system for an aircraft and so forth. He used paperclip on the front of the aircraft to adjust the centre of gravity so it could maintain its balance and fly a long distance. Fokker went on to become the world's greatest aircraft builder in the late 1920's with factories in the Netherlands and the USA.
At the end of October 2017, KLM is saying farewell to its last Fokker 70 aircraft. This means the last Dutch aircraft is leaving the fleet, signaling the end of the 97-year-old relationship between KLM and Fokker.
|Complete set (1 - 98)
|Complete set (1 - 98) + Waag + Palace + Book
|Book 'Little Kingdom by the Sea' 1-98
This is the new book with miniature 1 till 98.
|Book 'Sterke verhalen'
Ever since the 1950s, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has given away Delft Blue miniature houses to its royal class and business class passengers. These replicas of real monuments are considered worldwide to be an icon of the Netherlands. A beautifully finished ebook (in Dutch language) is now avaliable about these famous Delft Blue canal houses. Author Mark Zegeling looked behind their façades, offering a unique guide to 500 years of Dutch history and architecture.
'Sterke Verhalen voor bij de borrel', or 'Tall stories about Hollands Golden Age' offers readers an exclusive peek into the lives of the people who have lived in the houses upon which the KLM collection is based; portraits of pioneers, bold adventurers and other colourful figures who made their mark on Dutch history.
Extensive archive research and interviews with (architectural) historians and current residents of the centuries old properties have yielded a wealth of great anecdotes and unique and juicy stories. The tales are all based on fact, even though sometimes they seem too good to be true. The book consists of 432 pages and is richly illustrated with more than 1,900 (historical) photographs and paintings belonging to Dutch and international museums. Some of them belong to private collectors and have never been published before.
This book will become available in english in october 2014, a Chinese and Japanese edition is scheduled for december.
|Luxurious Coffee Table Book - Kingdom By The Sea (NOT AVAILABLE)
'Kingdom by the Sea' is a tribute to the people who left their mark on Dutch cultural heritage, and who lived in the houses which modelled for the KLM collection. The book is richly illustrated with more than 1.800 full colour photos, fine art and historic maps of cities across the Netherlands. 'Kingdom by the Sea' contains 448 full color pages, and is printed on high quality paper. It's a true gem to behold, a splendid addition to your collection KLM houses
|Limited Edition Kingdom By The Sea/porcelain cover
Limited Edition of the high-end coffee table book 'Kingdom by the Sea' (only 250 copies were made) with a Delft blue porcelain (!) cover of infinite beauty. This world-exclusive comes with a certificate of authenticity. The Limited Edition is numbered and signed by the author. 'Kingdom by the Sea, a celebration of Dutch cultural heritage' is tribute to the people who left their mark on the development of the Netherlands, and who lived in the houses which modelled for the KLM collection. The book is richly illustrated with more than 1.800 full colour photos, fine art and historic maps of cities across the Netherlands. 'Kingdom by the Sea' contains 448 full color pages, and is printed on high quality paper.